Tuesday, June 8, 2010

The First Chapter or so of our journey...



Since I am getting onto this a little bit late (the trip has actually been going on several days, although the blog is a new idea) I am going to throw in some stuff to give you an idea of where we began and hopefully get you all caught up. Whether or not the photos and their links work correctly is yet to be seen. As proof of this, when I added the following image it turned out all nice and blurry... Oh well... Anyway, this trip began around August of last year when we finally received word that we would be changing duty stations. Our ambitious plan slowly formulated and ended up being around 5,100 total miles and 87ish hours of travel. Now that we have made our first day of post-Ohio traveling I'm beginning to wonder about my own self-perceived ability to travel such great distances. I feel bad for Carole's having to deal with the world's grumpiest baby all evening! I really am a bear tonight.

So, once formulated, the plan was to travel 727 miles to Waverly, Ohio. We did this in somewhere between 12 - 14 hours. We spent several days there visiting with family (which may or may not make it onto this blog, depending if I can move my dead backside!). After a few days in Ohio, on the official "Day 1" of the trip we loaded up and headed to Davenport, IA (approx. 520 miles). Day 2 will be to Sioux City, IA (375 miles), Day 3 is Rapid City, SD (425 miles) where we will visit Mount Rushmore. After that we will take a lazy few days to traverse Wyoming and enjoy Yellowstone. Once we get back on the northern trail we will officially start it at Great Falls, Montanna and head on to Alaska in roughly 7 days. It will be long....

No comments:

Post a Comment