Friday, June 11, 2010

Two Lonesome Doves

Well, today was another adventure for the books. We got up bright and early, still in Deadwood, South Dakota. Again I have to plug that that place was just completely awesome. We both agree that we will return in a couple years when we can spend several days. The town itself is situated deep in a canyon between some gorgeous mountains. In order to leave the town you must immediately make a steep climb out. Just incredible. When we were checking out of the hotel there was a flyer on the table indicating all the re-enactments happening that day, including Wild Bill's fatal card game shootout and the subsequent trial/hanging. Unfortunately, we needed to hit the road and I knew SweetPea would not accept any further delay on my part.

Being your typical man I again did not gas the truck up the night before. We had just over half a tank of gas. Within a few minutes we were back on the road and heading into Wyoming on the interstate. "I don't need to stop for gas because we're on the interstate and there is gas at every exit." Famous last words, right? We were on the road heading to Devil's Tower National Monument. The first thing I noticed was that although exits were fairly common, almost none had the usual available services signs. So we made the turn for Devil's Tower wit habout half a tank. The road was back and forth through some of the prettiest hills/mountains I've ever seen. I'm sure they aren't true mountains, but are certainly bigger than anything in Ohio!

The whole time I was watching the gas gauge slowly go lower and starting to worry. We didn't see a single car or house all 20ish miles to the monument. Even at the monument there were no services like gas stations. Hmmm, and now we're starting to get low... So, we hopped out for the obligatory photos. Notice the freezing look on SweetPea's face. IT WAS COLD! After taking the pics we plugged the gps for the nearest gas station and I prayed silently the whole way. Pretty stupid of me not to fuel up when we had the chance!


After fueling up we began seeing these things everywhere: Turns out they are snow fences, used to control snow drifts.
As we rode across Wyoming we finally entered into Montana. I realize every state has some more spectacular areas than others, but by far the most disapointing place we've seen so far is Montana. I've always heard how spectacular it is, and compared to Western South Dakota and Wyoming it is nothing. Tommorrow when we drive north on the scenic route might change that, but for now I feel let down.
Anyway, we stopped off at the Little Bighorn Battlefield site. It features rolling hillsides covered with grave markers, memorials, and different presentations about the battle. It was certainly a somber site and chilling to think about what had happened on this particular soil.
On a lighter note, when we were driving yesterday I was shocked to see something going charging acrossed the road right in front of the truck: a tumbleweed. I mean, real Bugs Bunny, Wile E. Coyote kind of tumbleweed! haha It was hilarious to me.
Other unusual observations we've noticed is that everyone here has a very thick Sarah Palin accent and says things like, "Oh yeah", "You betcha", and "Don't cha know?". Not that any of this is a bad thing, just a casual observation. I'm afraid to talk for fear of revealing my SOUTHERN heritage. Never thought I'd consider Ohio to be southern...

No comments:

Post a Comment